Tuesday, March 6, 2012

WIP Wednesday

Because I got so much done on retreat on Saturday, this is a combo retreat report and WIP update. I haven't had a WIP Wednesday post in a while because I really haven't had much to show. Not so this week!

Finished

The Crane Star pillow, blogged here. I am so, so happy with this project!

crane star pillow front closeup

Progress

I Spy Quilt:

rainbow i spy new layout

During the retreat, I was annoyed to discover that I hadn't cut enough of the black inner framing strips for 3 of those white-bordered blocks so I had to halt production on this project and move on to other stuff (you can see the blank spots in the layout where I was thinking the blocks could go). They're now pieced, and I've made some great progress on assembling the top since the photo was taken.

Habitat Challenge pillow covers:

habitat pillow top in progress

Oh brother - am I ever kicking myself for choosing this interlocking star layout for the pillow. The design itself is fine - I really like it. What I didn't think through was that there are 81 darn squares in this layout, MOST of which require the little star points to be added to them. Yes, they're wonky, so they don't require precision, but they're still time-consuming. I managed to finish off all of the star points (forgot to photograph!), and the pieces are ready to be pieced into the pillow front.

I also basted Easy Going Modern (the LC version) as planned, so it's all set to get quilted. Soon.

New Projects

Stacked Strips:

stacked strips blocks

New project alert! I was so inspired by the blocks that I won, I needed to put them together right away. I got as far as piecing the blocks into four columns of varying heights. They look like stacks of books, don't they? I'll finish the rest of the top with the Kona Snow background including a strip between each stack so that I don't have to deal with all of those seams coming together. Plus, it will add some girth to the quilt to make it a more useable size. I'm aiming for 3" strips between the columns and perhaps along the outside edges as well. That will make the top finish at around 60" wide, which is a nice lap quilt width. Height will be 70" ish, I think. Depends how much Kona Snow I've got!

No Progress
Kaleidoscope (on hold)
Heather R memory quilt
Charity Quilt
New Wave
Bee quilt (Jewel Squares)
Bee quilt (Circle of Geese)


This Week's Stats
Completed Projects - 1
New Projects - 1
Currently in Progress - 10 (why doesn't this number ever seem to go down?!)

Whew! That was a long one - I think my Project List has been caught up nicely. What's everyone else doing over at Lee's and Monika's? Go see!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

41 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the stacked books look of the new project you're starting! I'm a big reader and hope to make one of these one day. Your photo of yours is further inspiration (and temptation to start it now!).

    I've also been looking at things to do with charm squares from i-spy fabrics and I really like what you did. Makes it a good size quilt and features each fabric, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of progress. Wow! Love the book stacks quilt. I really dislike doing sashing but I can see how it would be very useful in this case to not have to deal with all those seams converging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it satisfying when you feel like you are progressing through projects? The stacked books look amazing - can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh your crane pillow is so awesome! And love your new project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. have you thought of fusing those squares (for the star pillow) down to a lightweight fusible interfacing first? Then you can sew them together much more quickly with better accuracy. :) There are tutorials for this all over - I used this method for my tiny wonky stars tutorial... hope it helps to make your life a bit easier! http://mommysnaptime.blogspot.com/search/label/tiny%20wonky%20star%20tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  6. crane pillow is enviable love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw you pictures on Flickr and, wow, you have been working hard!! Love all your projects. Everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the stacked book blocks, that is going to look awesome when it's finished.
    That crane pillow is amazing, and I love the stitching detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not that you have to take my advice, but I think the book stacks would look great with varying widths of sashing between them!
    I *love* the book stack look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I love the stacked book blocks and the way that you have left your stacks different heights. Look forward to seeing how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So exciting to see the stacked books blocks together! Won't it be lovely to snuggle under the book quilt and read a book? The crane star pillow is just awesome - love that hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE your crane pillow! I am really into charcoal coloured backgrounds at the moment, they really make the colours ZING don't they?!
    Your stacked books are really cool too- love the way that you have left the piles different heights! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, didn't mean to comment twice- my internet connection is playing up BIG STYLE tonight.

      Delete
  13. Love your crane star pillow. It makes me smile :). You definitely have more patience and better fine motor skills than I do with all those stacked strips.
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That pillow is something else! And isn't it nice to get so far ahead on your stacked books since you didn't have to piece them all first? Love how productive you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your crane pillow is fabulous - beautiful hand quilting! And your stacked books are so funky - it will look amazing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous pillow - I love the quilting on it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the stacked books blocks - they look awesome! Your crane star pillow is also just gorgeous, you are on quite a roll here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your crane pillow is wonderful and I love the look of the stacked blocks. Really different:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a week. I love your crane pillow, it's amazing. Your stacked books are really nice, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That pillow is gorgeous, I love your hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like the crane star pillow pattern. It's so different and as a librarian, I do like your 'stacked books.'

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all your projects! The pillow is just beautiful, and I love the stacked books.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your book stacks! And I think those cranes are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your book stacks. The crane pillow is just incredible. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow you have been one busy little bee. But your projects are looking worderful. I especially like the one with the stips that look like books. Happy Quilting

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love what you're working on! I had the same thought about the books quilt-- I made one like it last year, and I even put some book titles on the book spines :) Here's a link in case you're interested: http://greenleafgoods.wordpress.com/2010/12/28/stacks-of-books/
    Can't wait to see how yours turns out! It's making me want to make another :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving the stacked blocks. I've been wanting to try a quilt like that. The crane pillow is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. so much progress and it all looks brilliant! Love the habitat cushion :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my heart skipped a beat when I saw the crane pillow! WOW! Great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Take a bow! You have some very amazing stuff happening. I luv all the colour, even in the browns.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful progress , love the pillow , the I spy quilt as well as your new project the stacked books , wonderful ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your Crane Pillow! Lots of great things goin on.

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE the crane star pillow! So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  34. great work!! My favorite is the crane pillow...I love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wouldnt it be cute if you had a little Worm or Bird, Moth or butterfly, a pair of reading glasses sitting on top of one of those stacks of books?

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love where you're going with the I-spy, and the stacked blocks are excellent! Sounds like you had quite the productive retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your stacked quilt and yes, you are wise to put strips between the sections!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Each project is just wonderful. I especially love the pillow and habitat challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Perfect stitching on the crane pillow! I love the colors you chose, also. Very nice stacked blocks! All of the projects look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love love love the stacked strip blocks! That's going to make a beautiful quilt. And the crane pillow is just fabulous, the hand-quilting is wonderful. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete

I *love* comments, and I try to respond to every one by email (but I can't if you're a no-reply blogger!). So go on, don't be shy - leave one to let me know you've stopped by!